Patient Advocacy is Patient Representation
We urgently need your help. Now is a critical time to push for provincial and federal support for equal timely access to new treatments for all Canadian melanoma patients, ocular melanoma, and non-melanoma skin cancer patients.
Advocacy is a process by an individual or group aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems. Advocacy can include many activities, including: media campaigns, public speaking, commissioning and publishing research, or government relations and meetings.
We urge you to consider writing to your Federal Health Minister and to your local government representatives to convey a request for support. We have also included this adaptable template letter, as well as links to appropriate government contacts below, making it easy to find out who your provincial and federal representatives are.
To help us in the fight for Canadians affected by melanoma, ocular melanoma, and non-melanoma skin cancers, please look through the resources on this page and get involved in the ways that make the most sense for you. We appreciate your support!
Save Your Skin Foundation has assembled materials to assist in the following:
1. Write to your Members of Parliament to share your thoughts on this issue or to request a meeting – contact your local elected officials
2. Write to your MLA/MPP asking that he/she write to the Minister of Health (click here to download sample letter)
4. Email or phone us to report back the results of your MLA meeting
5. Write a letter for your MLA to send to the Minister of Health
6. Write to your provincial Ministers of Health (these are listed below)
7. Write to the Minister of Health: Hon. Jean-Yves Duclos
Together we can and will make a difference!
Let your voice be heard via social media!
Tweet or post to share your message to accounts using hashtags such as:
#ImLivingProof #FairChance #SaveYourSkin
To obtain materials and for further information, or to join the Save Your Skin Foundation Advocacy Team, please click here:
Government MPs, MLAs and Health Ministers by Province/Territory:
- SYSF Patient Advocacy Outline (2016)
- Blog: What is a Patient Advocate?
- Blog: Bringing Advocacy to Canadian Melanoma Patients
- Glossary of Terms from CADTH – Canadian Healthcare System – Who is Who?
- “Who Are You Surviving For” Program – Write a letter to your Representative!
- Patients Redefining the Future of Health Care in Canada Summit and preparatory Webinars
- International Advocacy for Patient Access to Treatment A³ ~ ADVOCACY: ACCESS IN ACTION
- Including the patient voice in the development and implementation of patient‐reported outcomes in cancer clinical trials
- Patient value: Perspectives from the advocacy community